Tom Martin, HCPC Executive Director
395 State St.
Ellsworth, ME  04605
207-667-7131 (office)
207-667-2099 (fax)

Date: December 29, 2008

RE: Upcoming Event on Municipal Energy Issues (Program Brochure and Registration Form)


Striking a Balance Forum

Maine’s Energy Future and Regulating Small Wind Generators and Outdoor Wood Boilers

Striking a Balance organizers announce the scheduling of the fourteenth forum in the ongoing development-related workshop series at the VFW Hall at 419 Main Street (Washington Junction Road) in Ellsworth from 5:00 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. on Wednesday, January 28, 2009. (Storm date January 29) The agenda will focus on municipal energy issues.  Speakers include John Kerry, Director of the Governor’s Office of Energy Independence and Security.  He will speak on Maine’s energy future and opportunities for municipalities.  Jim Brooks, Director of the DEP Bureau of Air Quality, will speak on regulating outdoor wood boilers.  There will also be a presentation by Jim Cassida, Licensing Coordinator, DEP Division of Land Resource Regulation, on regulating small-scale wind generators.

“Maine’s energy situation is changing,” stressed Hancock County Planning Commission Executive Director Tom Martin.  “Higher prices and uncertain supply mean that more households are turning to alternative sources.   This workshop offers participants an opportunity to learn more about Maine’s energy future in general.   It will also provide specifics on the new DEP rules on outdoor wood-fired boilers, which reduce the level of emissions allowed and the opacity of smoke plumes.     Many Hancock County towns are looking for regulations that adequately address wind  generators.  This workshop will provide background information.  HCPC is also compiling some sample wind generator regulations,” Martin concluded

Participants must register by January 23, 2009.  A registration fee of $17.00 will include a light meal and materials.  Please note that doors will open at 5:00 p.m. for registrations and the meal.   The program will begin at promptly 6:00 p.m.
Striking a Balance was developed to address issues related to personal property rights and land development in Hancock County.  Striking a Balance has been very well received, often attracting more than 100 participants consisting of municipal officials, real estate agents, code enforcement officers, developers, students and the community at large.  Partners in this effort include the Hancock County Planning Commission, Down East Resource, Conservation and Development Council, Union River Watershed Coalition, Gouldsboro Planning Board and the State Planning Office.   Funding was provided in part by a generous donation from Bar Harbor Bank & Trust. 

Program Brochure and Registration Form (PDF)

To register, or for more information, please contact Sheri Walsh, HCPC Administrative Assistant, at 667-7131 or

Additional Information

Regulating Small Wind Generators and Outdoor Wood-Fired Boilers

January 2009


With the price of heating oil fluctuating and electricity costs increasing,   more households are exploring alternative sources of energy.   These include wind generators and outdoor wood boilers.   Municipalities interested in regulating these land uses need not reinvent the wheel, there are already towns in Maine that have enacted standards.  Furthermore, the Maine Department of Environmental Protection has standards that all new wood boilers must meet.  There are also operational standards for existing boilers.  These can be found at: or on the HCPC website (

Information on Outdoor Wood Boilers:

The town of Millinocket has enacted an ordinance that can be found at:  There is also a generic ordinance posted on the same section of the site.  As always, be sure to have any ordinance you draft reviewed by an attorney with a background in Maine land use law.

Information on Wind Generators

Towns across the state have enacted ordinances to regulate small-scale (primarily for residential use) wind generators.   These ordinances can be found at:


Contact Tom Martin or Sheri Walsh at the HCPC (667-7131).