Land Use




Maine Community


HCPC Services

News, Newsletters and Press Releases

Municipal Contact Form


Web site Language Options

Find HCPC on Facebook

Find HCPC on Facebook

Hancock County
Planning Commission

A voluntary association of governments in Hancock County, Maine

HCPC has been providing planning and related government-support assistance to Hancock County municipalities since 1970. Our services now include special projects such as support for healthy communities, housing and community development planning and hazardous waste planning. Explore these developments along with our ongoing work in land use, transportation, economic development, solid waste and recycling:

Quick Link to Winter Newsletter


Sign up for HCPC Newsletter and News Blasts

Tax exempt conservation land Project Canopy Grants, Americorps Grants
Webinars on Coastal Flooding Brownfields and Solid Waste News
Stonington Waterfront Adaptation Project Active Communities Join Use Agreements
CDBG Program News New Aerial Imagery for Hancock County

Striking a Balance Workshop: Introduction to Brownfields and their Reuse Potential
January 29, 2015 (storm date February 5, 2015) 5:00 - 8:30 pm
Dinner begins at 5:00 pm / Workshop begins at 6:00 pm
Registration $18.00
Location: VFW Hall, 419 Main Street Ellsworth (AKA Washington Junction Road)

  • What are Brownfields and What Can Be Done?
  • Brownfields: The Federal Perspective
  • Success Stories in Hancock County: What Can We Learn?

More information and printable registration form or call HCPC at 667-7131

Due January 31 - Letter of Interest for PeopleForBikes Community Grant Program

The PeopleForBikes Community Grant Program supports bicycle infrastructure projects and targeted advocacy initiatives that make it easier and safer for people of all ages and abilities to ride. PeopleForBikes accepts grant applications from non-profit organizations with a focus on bicycling, active transportation, or community development, from city or county agencies or departments, and from state or federal agencies working locally. Requests must support a specific project or program; the group does not grant funds for general operating costs. 
PeopleForBikes focuses most grant funds on bicycle infrastructure projects such as:

  • Bike paths, lanes, trails, and bridges
  • Mountain bike facilities
  • Bike parks and pump tracks
  • BMX facilities
  • End-of-trip facilities such as bike racks, bike parking, and bike storage

It also funds some advocacy projects, such as:

  • Programs that transform city streets, such as Ciclovías or Open Streets Days
  • Initiatives designed to increase ridership or the investment in bicycle infrastructure

PeopleForBikes will fund engineering and design work, construction costs including materials, labor, and equipment rental, and reasonable volunteer support costs. For advocacy projects, it will fund staffing that is directly related to accomplishing the goals of the initiative. 

PeopleForBikes accepts requests for funding of up to $10,000. It does not require a specific percentage match, but does look at leverage and funding partnerships very carefully. It will not consider grant requests in which PeopleForBikes funding would amount to 50% or more of the project budget.

See more information and apply here.  Online application opens December 15.  Deadline for the Letter of Interest in applying isJanuary 30, 2015. 

Maine Safe Routes to School Mini-Grant Application
The federally-funded Maine Safe Routes to School (SRTS) program - a partnership of the Maine Department of Transportation, the Bicycle Coalition of Maine and communities works to improve bicycle and pedestrian safety and encourage more students to walk and bike to school. The 2015 Mini-Grant Program funds school initiatives this winter and spring that go the extra step to build stronger walk and bike to school programs.

These grants are intended to provide communities with some helpful structure and additional resources to assist you with getting more students safely walking and bicycling to school and around town. SRTS will select up to 10 recipients to receive awards of up to $300 each for projects this winter/spring; and similar to years past, schools or community groups are encouraged to consider a large breadth of possible projects.  The application deadline is February 6, 2015Please see here for more information, guidelines and the application and feel free to be in touch with Maine Safe Routes staff to think through your project ideas.

For more info or questions, please email saferoutes@bikemaine.org, or call 623-4511 or contact Jim Fisher / 667-7131.

Webinar: Tools to help visualize and respond to Coastal Flooding
Friday, February 13, 2015 1:00 - 2:30 PM EST

Presented by:
Jamie Carter, Senior Remote Sensing Analyst, The Baldwin Group, Office for Coastal Management, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
Lauren Long, Coastal Conservation Specialist, The Baldwin Group, Office for Coastal Management, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)

Hosted by:
Municipal Planning Assistance Program
Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry

Coastal communities face a variety of threats from natural hazards and climate change. Understanding and identifying the risks and vulnerabilities from these threats can be performed using publicly available data and tools. This webinar will highlight resources that help communities visualize coastal flooding scenarios, characterize their exposure to current and future flooding, and encourage public participation in the planning process. Presenters will also describe green infrastructure approaches that help reduce flood hazard impacts, and will discuss associated costs and benefits. Data, tools, and other resources from NOAA’s website the Digital Coast will be presented, and participants will have ample opportunity to engage the speakers.

In this free webinar, participants will:
•              Learn how to access and navigate NOAA’s Digital Coast
•              Explore the Sea Level Rise and Coastal Flooding Impacts Viewer
•              Explore the Coastal Flood Exposure Mapper
•              Discover green infrastructure costs and benefits

Presentation: 60 minutes / Discussion:   30 minutes

Pre-registration is required.

PLEASE NOTE: If this is your first time using Adobe Connect, you will need to create a password.
If you have registered your e-mail address with Adobe before, hit the “click here” link on the registration form.

Register here for the webinar

MaineDOT Releases 2015-2017 Workplan

MaineDOT has published the lastest edition of the three year work plan. This document summarizes projects by location, work to be done, when it will be built and the amount of funding raised.

Find your Floodplain

HCPC has created an easy user-interface for you to see FEMA's preliminary flood insurance maps for Hancock County. Click on the area of interest to download a PDF file showing the proposed flood insurance map. The 90 day comment period has closed. However, final maps will not be released until summer, 2016. Appeals may further delay the process. Subsequent changes will require a Letter of Map Amendment or LOMA.

Maine Department of Transportation Drafts Request for Proposals for Planning Partnership Initiative (Proposal Deadline: Not Applicable) A new program is under design for transportation planning that encourages towns to apply for funding of specific planning projects that can be completed in four to nine months. As proposed, towns would be responsible for 50% of the total project cost. See the draft guidelines here. Contact Jim Fisher at HCPC if you have questions. We will post the final announcement when it is available.

Due December 31 - Walmart Local Giving Program
The Wal-Mart Foundation supports programs and initiatives addressing education, workforce development, economic sustainability, and health and wellness. Health and Wellness examples include programs that support nutrition and active lifestyles, educating people of all ages about their health, preventing and managing chronic disease. Explore this opportunity more for your local walk and bike programs! Deadline: December 31, 2014 - more information and application can be found here.

MaineDOTMaineDOT Transportation Surveys

1) MaineDOT Public Opinion Survey on long-range transportation needs. This is your opportunity to help shape the future of transportation in Maine!

The Maine Department of Transportation (DOT) is asking for input for their statewide long-range transportation plan. Your answers will affect the way the Department sets goals, objectives, and strategies for future transportation projects in Maine.

2) MaineDOT Customer Satisfaction Survey: Let MaineDOT know your priorities for future transportation investments. Should MaineDOT invest in airports, transit systems smoother roads? Which is more important to you? The survey only takes a couple minutes.

Mission and Services

Select town for detailed information

Click on town for detailed information

HCPC, 395 State Street, Ellsworth, ME 04605
Voice: (207) 667-7131 Fax: (207) 667-2099
EMail: hcpc@hcpcme.org - Map to HCPC

The Hancock County Planning Commission prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation or marital or family status. The HCPC is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Search the HCPC Web site:

Great Pond Amherst Aurora Osborn Mariaville Waltham Eastbrook Otis Dedham Bucksport Verona Island Orland Ellsworth Franklin Hancock Sullivan Penobscot Blue Hill Castine Brooksville Brooklin Deer Isle Sedgwick Stonington Swans Island Surry Trenton Tremont Lamoine Bar Harbor Mount Desert Frenchboro Southwest Harbor Cranberry Isles Sorrento Gouldsboro Winter Harbor Unorganized Territories - Townships Unorganized Territories - Townships